During spring, summer and winter school vacations children tend to watch more television. With that said, there a lot of things that come on during day time television that are not good for young children to watch. I remember as a child experiencing some strange sensations in places I rather not get into, from watching some rather steamy scenes of lovemaking on soap operas. The adults thought that I wasn’t paying much attention to those soaps, but I was doing more than just watching them I was fantasizing about what it would be like for someone to hold and kiss me back in the early 90s. You see I remember over 20 years later passionate moments that Victor and Nikki had then Victor and Ashley on the Young and the Restless. Then there was Brooke and Ridge on the Bold and the Beautiful who seemed to forever have tears in their eyes with every embrace. Then of course Taylor one day becomes the new kid on the block and “steals” Ridge according to Brooke. Then who could forget Another World, Guiding Light, and Days of Our Lives during those muggy summers back then. I remember studying the kisses of some of those characters like Rachel who was in Another World and Reeva who had found many loves on the Guiding Light and Bo, you may remember with his dark, thick hair, how many girls with taste and women with fantasies wanted him to be a part of “…Our Lives.” I wasn’t too young not to know any different – my eyes and emotions were not restricted from what relatives didn’t think was harmful.
There were the common story themes of broken marriages, greed, power struggles, egos, sex, lies, manipulation, unwanted pregnancies, rape, fights, mental disorders, handicaps, murder, mayhem, jealousies, and confrontations. What’s funny is in the course of my life, I have had my share of many dramas such as these. I may have subconsciously handled personal issues in the way that I was conditioned to handle them by watching the soaps due to so many hours watching them during school vacations. Much of my childhood poetry had adult themes and now know why I was writing about relationship issues like cheating as young as 11.
Many of the observations I made were through a mind of a child. I formulated some good thoughts as well as bad based on what I seen the characters do, say and get away with on television. When I first actually noticed soaps and was able to understand the adult messages, I was about 10 years old.
The first thing I inferred from watching these pretend stories was that when couples grew tired of one another or when a new face came to town they would most likely have relationship problems that would often result in a breakup. To me, I learned that one should always be careful of the new person that comes in your life. I noticed that at times characters would cheat on their significant other and for some it was okay as long as they were good providers.
Life was never enjoyable for the soap opera characters something always had to be going on. If it wasn’t someone getting married, someone was in jail, stalking or being stalked, or worse, murdered off the show. But unlike the real world, the dead could come back again and pick up where they left off as if they never left the show.
Children grew up fast in soap opera world too! I remember thinking why couldn’t I and my friends grow up just as fast. One minute a character was holding a newborn in her hand, the next year or so she is giving her son or daughter keys to a car or a job with the family business.
The one thing I remember that was very true to reality was that the good times never lasted for long. A character maybe smiling on Monday, but by Friday he or she is emotional. Arguments and physical fights kept me glued to the television. There was that feeling of anticipation for the next scene then the next episode. Weekends didn’t go by fast enough before I was ready to sit in front of the television again hoping to absorb more daytime trash TV.
The men in the soap operas often carried on conversations at work; the women often visited one another at home. Most didn’t have any titles or positions of authority. They were pretty much the wife of someone powerful. I observed the more serious storylines seemed to evolve around the men and the petty ones around the women.
Many of the storylines suggested women could not be trusted. They were treacherous with one another, evil, conniving and would stop at nothing to destroy one another. Funny, when it came to handling their problems with men, these mischievous characters weren’t so strong.
I can’t tell you how many times I saw a character be in a car accident, wear some bandages for a few scenes then before you know it they are out of the hospital completely healed and attractive. Mentally handicapped characters would disappear for awhile sometimes years then come back mentally stable and ready to jump into bed with someone.
With all this soap watching, I would converse with neighborhood friends about the latest occurrences and if relatives were too busy to see them, I would inform them of what happened that day. Our community had a free phone service you could dial into and listen to recorded messages of what happened on the soaps that day. I wasn’t allowed to sit on the phone during the summer and talk to friends, but it was okay to listen to recorded messages about the soaps.
Needless to say, my summers were so long and hot that by the time school started I was ready for a little more than academics. Although I was too afraid to do anything as a girl, I had natural feelings for boys and was scolded when my developmental changes became noticeable.
The sad part is the women who sat with me and watched soaps were responsible for what my eyes saw, yet they didn’t feel that they were accountable for speeding me up in growth like the children’s lives were sped up in the soaps.
By Nicholl McGuire
When mothers cry things change! Welcome to one of the understanding mommy blogs for stressed mothers looking for support. Support for mothers facing grief, family struggles, parenting challenges, emotional healing, faith, hope, and encouragement. New moms, step-moms, divorced moms, married moms, Christian moms, and any other mom who likes reading helpful information about motherhood challenges will enjoy this mommy blog. Start surfing and subscribe today to this family blog!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When Mothers Cry Blog Archive
Something for every kind of mother
abortion
about us
abused
abused pregnant women
abusive partner
adult sons and daughters
adultery
affordable housing
aging parents
alcoholism
andropause
angry at God
angry daughter
angry mother
angry mothers
anxiety
arrogant mothers
at risk children
attachment parenting
baby care
babysitting mom
back to school
back to work
bad friends
bad mood
bad mother
beautiful children
bipolar disorder
bitter mothers
blame
blog creator
blog for frustrated mothers
blog for mothers
blogs about kid stuff
book about mothers
borderline personality disorder
boyfriend
braggart mothers
break up
breast-feeding
burdens
burned out fathers
burned out mothers
business
career mothers
caretakers
cars
child abuse
childbirth
childcare
childhood issues
children
children and bedtime
children and disabilities
children and school
children and sports
children going away to college
children in jail
children in war
children who exaggerate
childrens books
Christmas blues
christmas decorating
co-parenting
codependent
cold mothers
college scholarships
college scholarships for mothers
competitive mothers
confused mothers
conniving mothers
controlling mothers
controlling wives
coupons
crazy mom
crisis nursery
critical mothers
crying over mother
dating tips
dating violence
daycares
dead mother
death
deceased babies
deceased children
deceased mother
deceased mothers
deceptive people
defend children
defensive mother
dementia
depressed mother
depression
discipline
disrespected mothers
divorce
domestic violence
donations
education
emotional abuse
encouragement
events
evil influences
expectant moms
exs
faith
fake friendships
family
family friends
family law
fathers
fathers don't want children
fathers with children
favoritism
fearful mothers
fears
finances
food
forgiveness
friends
friendships
frustrated daughters
frustrated father
frustrated mother
frustrated mothers
fun stuff to do with kids
gift ideas
gifted children
God
good days
good mothers
grandchildren
grandmothers
grandparents
great grandmothers
guilty mothers
happy mothers
holiday shopping
holidays
home income
home organizing
home ownership
homemaker
house
house guests
housing
how to be a better grandparent
how to be a better mother
how to get exposure on this site
humor
husbands
identity crisis
ill mothers
immature mothers
independent woman
infants
inlaws
insane mom
intersex children
intimacy
jealous mothers
jealousy
journaling
judgmental moms
kidnapping
lack of appreciation
lazy family members
lazy mothers
letting go
liars
life
lonely mothers
makeovers
male midlife
manic mother
manipulative media
manipulative mothers
marriage
marriage and sex
media
menstrual cycle
mental abuse
mental mom
mentally unstable relatives
midlife crisis
miscarriage
miserable mothers
missing children
mmguardian phone
mom guilt-trips
mom quotes
mommy invites
mommy time
mompreneur
money
morals
mother
mother and daughters
mother cries
mother daughter relationships
mother dont want children
mother in law
mother pet peeves
mother rants
motherhood
motherhood book
motherhood lies
motherhood pet peeves
motherhood poems
motherhood rap
motherhood tips
mothers
mothers and sons
mothers and stepmothers
mothers day
mothers day blues
mothers day specials
mothers intuition
mothers who love too much
mothers without children
motivation
movies
music
nail makeover
narcissistic fathers
narcissistic mothers
neighborhood gossips
new boyfriend
new mothers
new years eve
newborn babies
niave mothers
no money for toys
obesity
obsessed moms
others
over 40
paranoia
parent teacher conference
parent-child bonding
parental alienation
parenting
parenting adult children
parenting challenges
parenting girls
parenting tips
parenting tweens
part-time mother
passive emotionally unavailable mothers
peace
peer abuse
perimenopause
personal time
petty mothers
physical abuse
pmdd experience
politics
postpartum blues
postpartum depression
postpartum symptoms
poverty
power
prayer
praying
pregnancy
product recommendations
pushy teachers
quotes from kids
quotes from mom
racism
raising children
raising sons
rape
rebellious children
regrets
relationships
relatives
remarriage
resentful mothers
role reversal
safety tips
save money
say goodbye to dad
saying goodbye to children
scammers
scared parents
schizophrenia
school breaks
school safety
school vacations
schools
secrets
self esteem
self improvement tips
self love
self righteous mothers
selfish parents
sensitive mothers
separated from children
sex
sex trafficking
sexual abuse
shopping black friday
shopping cyber monday
shopping for children
shopping for mother
siblings
single mothers
single parenting
single parents
sister in law
slave mothers
sleep
sneaky children
sneaky mothers
special offers
spirituality
spoiling children
spouse
spring break
stay at home mothers
step-mothers
stepmothers
stillborn baby
strange mothers
stressed mothers
strict parents
strong women
substance abuse
successful mothering
suffocating mothers
suicide
superstition
supplemental income
support groups
support groups for pittsburgh pa
teen fathers
teen mothers
teen years
television programming
tell me mother you're sorry book
temper tantrums
the other woman
thoughts about mom
tips to good health
tired moms
toddlers
toxic partners
toys
trauma
traveling with children
twins
twitter
unappreciated
unhappy mother
unlovedangry mother
unsupportive partners
vaccine injury
video games
weekends
when mothers cry audio
when mothers cry book
when mothers cry change
when mothers laugh
widows
witchcraft mom
womans intuition
work at home
working mothers
worry
xmas
young men dating older women
young mothers
your mother
Youtube
When Mothers Cry by Nicholl McGuire is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on book by Nicholl McGuire, When Mothers Cry.

No comments:
Post a Comment